Few Thoughts on Ruskin






Like the last post it feels like the Ruskin project can just fit all the ideas we have been having.  Small change Forum, setting up and art school, drawing and looking, developing our profile.  It's amazing the difference it makes to what we can do.  Funny how when I went down to the Baltic my concern which I had to bring was how to join up my practice so it is a line rather than a series of Dots.  I think this is where Ingolds and Ruskin meet .Ruskin in his strange way foresaw the breakdown of the line.  Anyway I think we have had some great ideas this week.  I have thought more about the Fors Budget and really like the idea that it has a page for everyday of the project - even if we need a couple of volumes.  I also like the idea that it travels with us where the "Studio" goes and it sort of legitimizes the space.

I also thought about the Studio and was thinking that it could be a site where we offer CRITS as part of the polytechnic this could be an extension of my work with YAS but it does feel like it might work and on a secondary level even though this is not a major concern now will get artists flowing in and out of the space - I could ask Ania if she would like to do a Crit of her recent work.  I also thought I would like to have a play and just make something a bit old school sculptural which was a bit Ruskin like - just play with materials for a bit and not worry - and maybe you could do the same - a big print on wood or something - just some stuff which looks like art- it sounds daft and perhaps pointless but it struck me that I'd like to do this so maybe it's something to do.

I then thought we could put up all the Made for you work plus the bread making stuff to get us started and maybe start to assemble the flower press and press flowers actually in the studio which would get me going in and out - I also wondered about pressing other things I like the idea of sedementation but we can talk about this more.

Anyway hence the Yorkshire mixtures everyone a winner but to many and they cut the roof off your mouth.  So excited still about this it feels like the break we were waiting for.

End point is December 2013 so we have 20 months- maybe we should ask ourselves big daves question and say if we are successful with the Ruskin project what will it do? but for the moment I have three workshops in different schools to do tomorrow and I'm a bit worried so perhaps we leave that till we have a days planning.

I have sent off the letter of acceptance.

Comments

  1. I am keen to be part of the poly technic.
    I thought I could do a kind of anti ethnography session where
    we all thought about how Writing Culture is actually an ethnographic moment that has passed and why we need to not own anything anymore
    that Parson Cross can place the gaze back on the Uni.
    Fantastic news about Ruskin can't wait to see what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many people referred to in Ania's work have privately done a Crit of it e.g. the video 'Rotting Heads of Parson Cross' (u-tube) and have rated it offensive, unnecessary and extremely rude. Ania must have recognised its cruelty hence the claim that the work is fiction but it was placed on the internet for all to ridicule people who do not even know of its existence. It makes one wonder what kind of mind can produce such a piece of work that clearly is drawn from the imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes crits are useful things for feedback and thinking about a works future..however they dont always make people change work, it just gives the artist clarity. And as we know from history lots of artworks upset/unsettle/challenge lots of people - it seems that sometimes thats the point.
    please we would like to meet you to talk in person...please let us know when that might be possible
    thanks
    kate

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment