Hi Kate and Steve, Last year and early this year I, and 4 other artists, were supported by Quarantine Theatre Company. At the end of the project each of us were asked to 'recommend' one thing - piece of art, film, music - whatever we wanted, for the rest of the group to look at. I chose the attached - the words to Chewing Gum Wrapper by Jonathan Richman. He is my favourite singer.
I just looked at these words again and thought about what you have been saying about art and life. You might have to listen to the song to completely get it. Or not. I love it!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDHczbgGgHY
CHEWING GUM
WRAPPER LYRICS
I saw the
chewing gum wrapper,
saw it after lunch;
Faded little cruddy thing,
saw it among the bunch.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
My eyes would not let go;
Saw the little thing that I liked so.
Loved the faded colors like would end up at the dump,
My heart goes bumpety, bumpety, bumpety bump.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
Faded by the rain;
You got to see it for yourself,
cause I cannot explain.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
dried up by the sun;
Someone else got to feel this way, because I can't be the only one.
Well I loved the faded colors like would end up at the dump.
My heart say bumpety, bumpety, bumpety bump.
Faded plenty and corroded some,
I saw the chewing gum wrapper,
I picked it up just like a bum,
Cruddy little, cruddy little, cruddy little thing;
Full of dirt and it was full of grit,
I saw the chewing gum wrapper;
But colors like that you can't git,
Cruddy little cruddy little cruddy little cruddy little.
Well, cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
My heart would not let go;
The colors hypnotize me, and I love them so.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
I must say;
The colors move me more than most or what I see today.
I love the little wrappers like would end up at the dump,
My heart go bumpety, bumpety, bumpety bump.
ok, let's rock
Faded plenty and corroded some,
I saw the chewing gum wrapper,
Well I put in my pocket just like a bum,
Cruddy little, cruddy little, cruddy little thing;
Full of dirt and it was full of grit,
I saw the chewing gum wrapper;
But colors like that you can't git,
Cruddy little cruddy little cruddy little cruddy little.
I saw the gum wrapper,
on a walk;
saw the faded green
And I could hardly talk.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper
dried out by the sun
someone else got to feel this way, cause I can't be the only one
I loved the faded colors like would end up at the dump.
My heart say bumpety, bumpety, bumpety bump.
saw it after lunch;
Faded little cruddy thing,
saw it among the bunch.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
My eyes would not let go;
Saw the little thing that I liked so.
Loved the faded colors like would end up at the dump,
My heart goes bumpety, bumpety, bumpety bump.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
Faded by the rain;
You got to see it for yourself,
cause I cannot explain.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
dried up by the sun;
Someone else got to feel this way, because I can't be the only one.
Well I loved the faded colors like would end up at the dump.
My heart say bumpety, bumpety, bumpety bump.
Faded plenty and corroded some,
I saw the chewing gum wrapper,
I picked it up just like a bum,
Cruddy little, cruddy little, cruddy little thing;
Full of dirt and it was full of grit,
I saw the chewing gum wrapper;
But colors like that you can't git,
Cruddy little cruddy little cruddy little cruddy little.
Well, cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
My heart would not let go;
The colors hypnotize me, and I love them so.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper,
I must say;
The colors move me more than most or what I see today.
I love the little wrappers like would end up at the dump,
My heart go bumpety, bumpety, bumpety bump.
ok, let's rock
Faded plenty and corroded some,
I saw the chewing gum wrapper,
Well I put in my pocket just like a bum,
Cruddy little, cruddy little, cruddy little thing;
Full of dirt and it was full of grit,
I saw the chewing gum wrapper;
But colors like that you can't git,
Cruddy little cruddy little cruddy little cruddy little.
I saw the gum wrapper,
on a walk;
saw the faded green
And I could hardly talk.
Cruddy little chewing gum wrapper
dried out by the sun
someone else got to feel this way, cause I can't be the only one
I loved the faded colors like would end up at the dump.
My heart say bumpety, bumpety, bumpety bump.

Comments
Post a Comment