In a email to Andy Parker, Steve wrote the following:
Andy replied:
Drawing - linked to the word withdrawing - to pull out, retrieve. I
always think of wire - the process of making wire is called drawing i
think - no beginning or end, continuous - never stopping and starting,
just broken and rejoined. I like to think of factories making tubes and
pasta and glass and sausages - a never ending stream that doesnt stop
or start, but is cut - the making is continuous.
The idea of A DRAWING is an art oddity - something incorrectly named, but now so synonymous its impossible to unimagine it as a thing that was done.
I'm afraid I have not come across Dazien, but do think there is a link to what I have remembered about Heidegger about ideas of challenging and enframing, which is a beginning of a becoming, i think. I thought a lot about another of his ideas - the standing reserve, as it seemed to me this was the state of being in the world where objects (and people) were almost invisible - the ideal state of mindless systems, consumption etc. The only point outside of this is through obsolescence - my passion- which gives people and things the greatest possible amount of visibility (at a point of total undesirability). I would want to see both sides acknowledged to experience a real, full life, and also to experience a real sense of time. Does that make any sense? Sorry - just finished watching the Olympic opening and I feel insane.
I contributed to a presentation about 'archaeology as practice' as a way of getting the folks involved to reevaluate what they did from a perspective other than artifact and information. I had a heated argument with the artist in residence from the dig who spent her time doing block prints of trowels and welly boots.
Me and Kate went to Brantwood (Ruskins house) recently and infused
and enthused ourselves with Ruskin - he is a good thinker in that
everything is of and in Life - it's Hiediegger and Dazien and being of
and in and to hand in the world which is interesting as nobody seems to
say this- they look much more to Niezche for the roots of being and time
but I think it's much more Ruskin -,although he is very situated within
the world -.where as the post structuralists need their seperation to
make the lived visible. Me and Kate are arguing about becomings at the
moment . We have coined a new phrase which is "Propositional Drawing "
this is an expansion of the process of drawing without the materiality
of the mark - practice as a conceptual drawing process - it comes from
Ruskins ideas that drawing can only ever be a verb - a process of seeing
rather than the materialistion of a materiality - the mark as a thought
moment? what do you think ? it felt at the moment of inception that we
were onto something important - but then Like Ruskin I thought that the
world had perhaps become too connected and I was mad.
Andy replied:
In relation to the lovely paragraph of your thoughts
The idea of A DRAWING is an art oddity - something incorrectly named, but now so synonymous its impossible to unimagine it as a thing that was done.
I'm afraid I have not come across Dazien, but do think there is a link to what I have remembered about Heidegger about ideas of challenging and enframing, which is a beginning of a becoming, i think. I thought a lot about another of his ideas - the standing reserve, as it seemed to me this was the state of being in the world where objects (and people) were almost invisible - the ideal state of mindless systems, consumption etc. The only point outside of this is through obsolescence - my passion- which gives people and things the greatest possible amount of visibility (at a point of total undesirability). I would want to see both sides acknowledged to experience a real, full life, and also to experience a real sense of time. Does that make any sense? Sorry - just finished watching the Olympic opening and I feel insane.
I contributed to a presentation about 'archaeology as practice' as a way of getting the folks involved to reevaluate what they did from a perspective other than artifact and information. I had a heated argument with the artist in residence from the dig who spent her time doing block prints of trowels and welly boots.
I think maybe when something is propositional it is not imagining itself as here and now and finished and fully resolved, but as 'not yet' as Bloch thought of it. Something propsitional is on the edge of becoming, its there to point to what could be. It might be marks on paper or it might be a plastic bowl with Brantwood in the distance, or it might be an event... the point for me is less whether its an object or not and more whether it is full of desire for might yet be.
ReplyDelete