Press -tigue

It's been funny having the discussion about the detail of the press over the phone and on the blog.   We keep saying really important stuff about collaboration and shared authorship and then get really caught up in aesthetic details such as "Is the stack of paper going to be thick enough."  In the abstract space of discussion we imagine the piece and the stack gets taller and shorter in our independent minds eyes.  We add up the amount of paper and the slate and we balance this with some kind of strange personal integrity for the concept behind the piece - is it tall enough to present the significant passage of time/ is it compressed enough to suggest that this time is now historical - is it ok for drawing to get crushed and creased? what will a system of protecting pages from pressure signify in terms of the overall reading of the piece?

the funny thing is that when we have the thing in front of us we will both have a chat say that looks about right (Which it will) or We think we need it to be fuller - lets get some more paper (Crazy rush but worth it) or not.  Then I will say we could use felt to pad it out and we will laugh about how Joseph Boyes ruined felt for everybody.  I suppose the important thing is that together in the space we will resolve these key things or perhaps traditional aesthetic and to an extent formal details by what feels right and I'm confident that we will agree very quickly - argue a bit but agree and be happy with the agreement as collaborative and not as compromise.

This reminds me of the craft of practice project and the idea of Tacit Knowledge perhaps on some of these things we rely on an unvocalised set of feelings and these relate to spoken ideas concepts and thoughts in a non linear way - maybe this is why making this piece is really good for us.  I used to say that good art is a well thought out idea perfectly executed - I'm not sure why I said this - perhaps I was talking about gallery art and that's why I've remembered it now.

Comments