S.Pool
Amanda Ravetz
Kate Genever
Why do you
want me to write from the outside? Is the outside an important place to
sit. When Amanda asked about
reverie I said that for me reverie presents madness. It’s not a case of small
moments where the everyday slips into the outside place it’s more that life is
a constant struggle to stay within the recognized parameters of the inside
space. This does not mean I’m mad
it just means I’m aware like many of us I self manage a precarious relationship
with the world outside.
Do we mean the
same thing by ‘the outside’? What do I mean by it? I think I mean - and this is a very clumsy way of
putting it – a more rational place, not a madder place. In what you just said
Steve, it seems that for you ‘from the outside’ takes you closer to something
mad, which I on the other hand would see as extreme insideness – inside my
head, my subjectivity rather than inside societal norms to which so-called
‘outsider art’ is opposed. When I talk about writing something from the outside
I think I mean detached a little, for a short time, from habitual ways of
thinking about, reacting to, doing, experiencing and sensing things – even
when all of those might be
precisely aimed at making the familiar unfamiliar. Defamiliaraise
defamiliarisation. If that is possible and not just meaningless tautology?
I suppose I can
see the usefulness of sitting outside for a while and thinking from there or
observing perhaps- I wonder why Steve resists this in a practical way? It can’t
just be because he wants to question norms or demonstrate the work in another
way. Perhaps he’s afraid if what he might find or see or feel.
I was
talking to Tom and his girlfriend last night about life and death. Tom said that when he was about 10 he
had asked me if I was frightened of dying. Apparently I had said that I wasn’t frightened of dying
because I wasn’t sure if I actually existed. I chuckled and asked him what my answer had made him
think. He said it hadn’t made him
think about anything he said it had just “upset him…………..for ages.” We then went on to discus if there were
any answers to anything – Amy is retaking GCSE math so we discussed what we
could be sure of? what could be empirical knowledge? I said that nothing was
sure, that for every question there was a meta –question – the question which
comes before, or perhaps I’m just bloody minded.
In a recent
Imagine TV programme about Doris Lessing there was quite a lot about how her
childhood in Africa made her take a certain distance from the things she wrote
about. There is a quality of seeing things from afar, in a less’ involved’ way.
I remember when I was an anthropology student seeing a film in which John
Berger talked about shuttling between distance and closeness. He was referring
to his book The Seventh Man about migrant workers. That idea of shuttling
between closeness and distance made sense to me as something necessary for me
as a researcher – to be immersed, to be detached, to shuttle between the two. (Reverie,
which I mostly understand in a slightly different way, is though perhaps some
extraordinary balancing act between the two – wide openness and intense focus
all in one).
I suppose I
would be interested to know what you think the meta-question/point is which
comes before the work, before the Poly. In my head it’s the driver that makes
you come to the work and that cant just be me! In Manchester you said it was
playing games to win - like in
poker. It felt arrogant and detached – like trying to be cleverer than others
or something and I didn’t like the in-authenticity or the dishonesty that could
come with that. Afterwards and now I think you mean to work in an artful way -
a strategic way, to make things better, even if only a little bit and in a
small change way. I think the Paul Hamlyn quote ‘There’s got to be a better
way’ fits….. I suppose I want more
detail.
Why did we
meet at hope – the week before Kate had said that we should drive as we were
busy and may want to go somewhere to eat.
I said that we had to go on the train and we were meeting at hope
because it was important. I was thinking of the idea of a pilgrimage. Kate said she thought we were meeting
there as it was half way between Sheffield and Manchester, I suppose it
is. There is a scene at the end of
the film Dogville where Grace a character played by Nicole Kidman asks whether
she has been accepted by a community. A member of the village suggests she is
half way to been accepted – half way there is both a good place and a difficult
place to be. I pretend I’ve read
more than I have but I have read a little bit of Richard Rorty, he is one of my
secret favorite philosophers. A
bit like the Cure in the 1980’s- popular but manages to keep trendy. It’s difficult to sum his thinking up
but one thing I did read was how he says that Irony is the only way to cope
with the modern lived experience.
I think that to prevent irony getting to cynical we need to mix it up
with hopeless romanticism. Been a
hopeless romantic is possibly the only thing you could be hopeless at which
still has a certain amount of credibility. You can’t be a hopeless cook, sports
person or accountant and still be taken seriously yet a hopeless romantic
represents the pinnacle of the romantic – so far gone there is no way back.
Caring and hope
and irony and hopeless romanticism – I’m hopelessly un-ironic which isn’t a
good thing in the way Steve describes hopeless romanticism to be. I try to hide
it especially in academia but I am hopelessly committed to authenticity.
I am described
here as not being able to see the romanticism or perhaps don’t care enough for
train rides– of course I could and do – I am, I suppose, also pragmatic and
live along way away from Hope [not metaphorically but 150 miles]. I am like
Steve’s Dad when Steve was mowing in the grass, on the morning of his and Kim’s
big anniversary party, at his house ‘Steve Loves Kim’ and he was rushing trying
to get thing organized and he shouted Bloody Hell Steve! – I love the gesture;
I do care, but am often short of time. Perhaps I need to just start another
hour earlier. But actually are you
really saying that your want for the work is romantic - is concerned with the
major concerns of Romanticism (also the Romantic era or the Romantic
period) was an artistic, literary, and intellectual movement that originated in
Europe toward the end of the 18th century and in most areas was at its peak in
the approximate period from 1800 to 1850. Partly a reaction to the Industrial Revolution,[1] it was also a revolt against the
aristocratic social and political norms of the Age of Enlightenment and a reaction against
the scientific rationalization of nature.[2] It was embodied most strongly in the
visual arts, music, and literature, but had a major impact on historiography,[3] education[4] and the natural
sciences.[5] Its effect on politics was
considerable and complex; while for much of the peak Romantic period it was
associated with liberalism and radicalism, in the long term its effect on the
growth of nationalism was probably more significant. Or in fact are
you saying you’re a dreamer – dreaming a different way- a utopian future? It’s an interesting conversation and
area of thinking. Or perhaps like you say a good team needs a pragmatist – some
one to organise and a dreamer?
We ended up
in Hope on the train because of the irony of the name and the hopelessness of
my romanticism. The trip generated the space we built between us as we walked.
Like our trip to Brantwood it helped draw a line in the thinking of our
practice – if to “craft” as Amanda said is to care the trip to hope built a
space in place and time where I was able to care. Ironically and in a hopelessly romantic way I admit but
caring was important.
I agree that act
of ‘walking as process’ really worked here. It encouraged us to step back both
physically and metaphorically. Like I’ve said in my text we used the walk as a
tool. I remember that Amanda said at the start that it’s experimental, as we
never have an end point or outcome that we think of first. This of course is
only partly true – we do have an outcome we just don’t know what it ‘looks’
like. We make as we go – making through thinking rather than thinking through
making. However I worry that Amanda becomes a mediator rather than critical
friend. Like I said on the platform as we left - I want feedback, I want an
opinion. I suppose the opinion is useful for me to think against or with. I
think that’s why Amanda likes to talk to us too?
Just before
we met you Amanda me and Kate had a disagreement. I wondered if I should mention it but for me it’s important
because the day was the day, not a set of distinct separate bits, but a
day.
We come to
the end of a big project, we have different ways of working through this. We
have our own commitments, identities, work and thought and then we have our
combined practice. I think at the
beginning of the project this combined practice was something which had evolved
and although we have discussed it a lot the deeper bits of it were Tacit. The bits which work now are often still
tacit, we start something together and it unfolds, in our way, we bounce duck,
dive, build work hard within and around. We are like birds in flight who move
almost simultaneously. We have to
say this and mean it as it is because we need to value this depth of intuitive
understanding as the core of the work.
We also have a clunky side a difficult bit which is because we are
difficult people who are never quite satisfied, who are constantly in a state
of thinking and hoping to do more to do things better.
So I talk of
structuring work for the future – of looking for projects, of diaries, Kate
talks of the acceptance that this is practice now, that we do not need to
consider how to make it continue as it will continue. I say we need to be practical and “other” stuff like before
may come in the way. Kate feels sad about this perhaps worries about other
stuff I unfairly accuse Kate of being paranoid, it flares, we mend it for the
sake of the day, I walk around the cemetery and sulk like a teenager.
I have a problem
here, I’m a private person and don’t like my dirty washing aired in public. I
don’t like people tell tale-ing, I’m not sure what purpose it serves. Of course
in this text I can see why you have included it – you’ve written stream of
consciousness thing and so it makes sense here. I do think we should talk of
the issues that arise from disagreements
- but perhaps in a different way? The issues are important and
interesting and like you say draws attention to positives and the good as well
as the concerns. This couple or so of paragraphs made me sad when I first read
it. It made me think we will have to develop a much more professional
relationship one where I don’t stop at your house and let the dog out or help
the kids with art home work – basically I would have to become separate. I
wondered how this might help and as the project is coming to an end and
Sheffield is less of an emphasis it would be possible. I’m not sure what to think now – maybe
that would make us more effective, but then I think we get loads done when we
talk in the kitchen. In terms of the future practice - I suppose what I meant was that practice will out because
it will, because it’s important and we want it to. If it doesn’t and we don’t
make time for it then it has come to a natural end. I do however think that
what we have done is good and worth pursuing - I think we have a lot to offer.
For all the difficulties I think the work is made better by us coming together.
I remember
Amanda’s train arriving at the station, I want to make a joke about brief
encounter but don’t remember any of the lines. I am really pleased to see her walk across the bridge I have
missed her. I have enjoyed all our
talks on this program but also found them hard. Amanda is one of the few people who doesn’t let me get away
with things – Kate likes this – I like it but I wish she would let me get away
with a couple of small things occasionally. I like the meetings because they always seem to move us on
they are thinking spaces. The
brilliant thing about working with Amanda is she is so bright but she knows our
field, she understands all the shorthand’s to getting to a point but not from a
theoretical side, from a practice side this is why she is so helpful.
I have learnt a
lot from both of you. It feels like a special friendship – made around your
work and my work and conversations that have a depth and meaning that only
happens rarely in my experience.
I too am
glad - I like your approach and
openness – your honesty and fairness. Your input is thoughtful and you work
hard to find the meaning or push the ideas. I would like to work with you more
in a more equal way, one where your not just our critical friend, I know we
talk about your work too but it always feels we end up focusing on us. It was
exciting on the way back to the station when we started to think about how we
could come together more with the Poly, beyond Steve’s studio project.
etc….
We walk and
go to the Café for tea we talk of our children and the farm and species
ethnography. What would cow 245
think? what would a blade of grass think.?I say it’s all a load of balls and we
all agree. Funny
thing – the next day when I get back to the office there is a book waiting for
me in the post room – its got an essay in it which I reviewed ages ago, so it
takes me a while to work out why its be sent to me – but it’s the title that
feels like a coincidence given this conversation: Living beings: Perspectives
on Interspecies Engagements. Its got stuff in it along the lines of what cow
245 would think. 245 loves me, in fact she
loves most of us, it’s got to do with, food, scratching, comfort – well in fact
it’s to do with Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs. I talked to my science sister
about perspectivism and species anthropology – she shook her head. We try hard
to not anthropomorphise animals on the farm but we do understand their needs
–its called husbandry. It reminds me of the anthropologist who studied the
teapots that talked to the potters during construction – I asked him if he made
stuff and if he did he would know that a conversation happened in the process.
It’s a bit like that when working with animals; if you’re prepared to listen
they communicate.
In the café
we list all we have done but it does not feel like what we have done. It is a long list of things to be
pleased with but none of it feels deep enough. I say it’s an holistic practice but I’m not sure what that
means. I say that in my mind there
is a clear link between a you tube tutorial of how to do a contemporary flower
arrangement filmed in a shop in Wakefield with our Press piece in force of
nature. I say it’s a clear line for me but I don’t expect others to see it – we
all say in the end it’s about people and nod but this acceptance is only
halfway there. I talk of audience, rarefaction and the art world, I stop as it
makes me sad.
I’d like to know
more about why it makes you sad. And to say reading some of this makes me sad
too but I’m not sure why. Maybe it’s the sense that we sometimes seem to talk
past each other despite the fact that both of us want to be on a wavelength.
I’m not sure
what makes you sad either – is it that you wont ever be famous like you wish to
me every now and again. Is it because of rarefication? Is it because the art
world doesn’t make sense – well it does make sense to some but we never seem to
enter it. Is it because we can’t explain it – the work, that it shape shifts and perhaps we
will never get a handle on it? Is it because the line of practice doesn’t make
sense to others. Its because we make work fit for purpose but no one really
wants that - I keep coming back to
that Botticelli I saw in that Venice house – it was sooooooooo beautiful, I
think lots of people want art that looks and smells and feels like art, stuff
they can understand as Art. Or is it really because perhaps we’d be better working
with refugees or on farms in order to do proper good.
In terms of
holistic – its not a word I would use – I like continuum – like our diagram
with the nodes, actually I’m not sure they mean that much different, but
holistic sounds too Hebden Bridge.
We walk up
the hill we need to go somewhere; I have the top of the ridge in mind. It’s not like a proper walk we stroll
and talk. We have opened the
project and told it’s narrative and had thoughts but we haven’t got to the
essential core of things. Going up
the Hill we talk about the difficulty of not getting anywhere. I talk of the meeting in Manchester of
how we needed to get somewhere with the idea of Authoring a proposition and the
process to get to this point was a type of drawing. I said that Amanda had pissed on our bomb fire and I found
this hard – I had to start to get somewhere even if it was only on the way to
been halfway there. We resolved
this we moved past it – the idea was a good one it moved things on.
About the
intuitive part of your practice and the tacit. I hope that if you were writing from
the kind of outside I am imagining this wouldn’t mean spoiling the intuitive
parts of practice but would feed
them. But perhaps if I pissed on
your bombfire (I like the shift from bonfire to bomb fire) this is a false hope
of mine?
I think we need
the strength to own that idea and like it. To me it felt like we were now as
then, being critiqued and asked to think harder.
I forget a
lot of the rest of the walk and am hoping this will get filled in by
others. I got a bit lost in
thoughts until we sat on the stones half way up the hill and talked of writing.
I told Amanda I was not sure of the merits of writing from outside and she said
I was bloody minded and perhaps this reluctance was a reason we only got half
way towards things. I said perhaps
there was some bloody mindedness going on, not that you are bloody minded as if
that were one of your main character traits. But yes, this feels unfair now. I
think I misjudge how deeply you feel about things and am prone to misreading
you. I didn’t hear the question behind the question.
Can I just say
it’s taken a long time to understand that the humor, irony, pretending not to
know and the self-deprecation that Steve puts out is a ruse. I did wonder at
the time why Steve was so resistant, I understand the need to question default
positions but sometimes they are defaults because they are useful or work. I do
though think artists have an inclination to be bloody minded – its to do with
fighting for the work, we are trained to fight its corner – think of all those
crits. Also perhaps it’s an inherent trait because who in there right mind
would try and make art for a living its so bloody hard.
I felt as I
had said to Tom that I was not bloody-minded I was looking for the question
before the question. The question
before the questions is where is the space outside and why is it of value. I am accused of bloody mindedness I
think of default positions and resistance to what is expected. I don’t say this
and therefore appear bloody-minded.
As I walk at
the back of things after a really busy week where I have done lots of things ,
I am tired and warn out through thinking and balancing I consider that I have
achieved very little within the Ruskin project. I think of the idea of the game that is what got me into
trouble before, to suggest that it is all a game to be played. The playing of games is part of it but
not all of it . The playing of games is important but once you start playing
games there is always a bigger game which people are playing or a game with
different rules it would be nice to not play games. I don’t play games with the people I love.
We talked of
doing something well – I say from my perspective its about intentional
decisions for everything even its about letting chance in. I am interested in
the question of doing things well – often for the Poly I think it’s about
finishing things off well for people, of making them feel valued and relevant.
I often think its to do with generosity, of going the extra mile, of putting
yourself out, putting the work first – this makes sense in drawing to.
On the way
down the Hill to eat our tea, after I sing that I can never go back to savory
after eating something sweet Kate says she will never follow any Dogma I try
and set up again. This is after my abject rubbishness at sticking to Dogmas I
establish. I have steak and ale
pie after eating loads of chocolate.
I think about this and wonder what I have to offer if it’s not a good
Dogma.
On reflection I
felt I was quite quiet during our day, apart from when I didn’t agree or was
asked directly. I have come to realise that I do this more, I remove my voice
although I am thinking hard. I’m perhaps taken less seriously because of this.
I suspect I see it as being useful or perhaps I hide my insecurities, my lack
of confidence. Steve often has a lot to say, lots of suggestions, dogmas - that
I can see as being strategies for all sorts of reasons. Due to my nature - to set me a dogma will mean I will
kill to do it properly. Yet these are flippant things to Steve - I learn to
adapt to personalities, to not get frustrated, to make it right for myself. All
this I suppose means that we bring different things; perhaps it’s a counterbalance.
Steve brings strategies and ways of working that are in fact experiments,
catalysts, useful things. He brings questioning, insights and reflection – he
brings stories, dreams. I think these are really good things.
Comments
Post a Comment