Steve and I were invited to mediate and discuss at the Sheffield session of Creative Time summit conference, it was live streamed into the studio.
Notes i took as we watched were -
Saskia Sassen - "to keep us all safe we are all suspects", the USA style of surveillance of all. The eroding of human rights from under our noses, the potential of creating a political language. What could a contract for transversal living be?
We discussed in the room false fear, familiarity of cctv or at least forgotten issues with it, a universal language and the book Crack Capitalism. Also transparency of information and our access to it, the possibility of a political graphic or aesthetic such as the merchandising for wiki leaks shown as part of another talk. We talked too of unjust states and the fear of being photographed. Paranoia of everything being logged to be used against you in some terrible future scenario - but how we are complicit in uploading personal files. How - to be is to be perceived. And is it necessary to put things into perspective when artists from Russia are calling for international help to support their cause.
Dora Garcia in Sweden talked about how in old GDR everything was considered interesting for scrutiny. But that ultimately surveillance is useless as demonstrated by the fact they couldnt tell 4 hrs before the wall was coming down. I thought of Bill Drummond and his declaration that social interactions on the internet are meaningless and what counts is face to face, one to one, person to person.
On the drive home, from no where i said out loud - I'm not sure I'm that interesting. In that moment i celebrated my own worthlessness and it felt good.
Notes i took as we watched were -
Saskia Sassen - "to keep us all safe we are all suspects", the USA style of surveillance of all. The eroding of human rights from under our noses, the potential of creating a political language. What could a contract for transversal living be?
We discussed in the room false fear, familiarity of cctv or at least forgotten issues with it, a universal language and the book Crack Capitalism. Also transparency of information and our access to it, the possibility of a political graphic or aesthetic such as the merchandising for wiki leaks shown as part of another talk. We talked too of unjust states and the fear of being photographed. Paranoia of everything being logged to be used against you in some terrible future scenario - but how we are complicit in uploading personal files. How - to be is to be perceived. And is it necessary to put things into perspective when artists from Russia are calling for international help to support their cause.
Dora Garcia in Sweden talked about how in old GDR everything was considered interesting for scrutiny. But that ultimately surveillance is useless as demonstrated by the fact they couldnt tell 4 hrs before the wall was coming down. I thought of Bill Drummond and his declaration that social interactions on the internet are meaningless and what counts is face to face, one to one, person to person.
On the drive home, from no where i said out loud - I'm not sure I'm that interesting. In that moment i celebrated my own worthlessness and it felt good.

Do we alter our behavior because we think we are been watched - I think that it is more that we are been recorded- archived. Our crimes may not be acts in the moment but a cumulative historical acts that are archived for a future unjust government to exploit - Our preserved footprints, digital,carbon, social like Robinson Crusoe finding Man Fridays steps on the beach. I think that the most interesting bit of the day was the speaker who talked about the camera giving us proof of our own existence - surveillance as ontological reassurance. To paraphrase Descartes "I'm watched therefore I'm seen."
ReplyDelete