The political turn


Che leg warmers- he would turn in his grave and even his feet would be cold.  It was a very political week last week.  I'm not sure how many favors we did ourselves but it was, I suppose uncompromising .   Perhaps we have taken Ruskin to heart and through conducting our proper business in life attempted to mend a thing we felt was mendable.

The Engage conference was called Disruptive influences   In our panel presentation I suggested they should call next years event "Resting on our laurels" which was a bit mean but I don't think that many people were listening.  We were then asked about how you measure something and I accused the whole profession of  voluntary blindness,

“The selective voluntary blindness of human beings allows them to ignore the moral consequences of their choices. It has been one of the species' most valuable traits, in terms of the survival of any particular human community.”


Orson Scott Card, Pathfinder
 
It is the reason why the banks crashed and why general motors allowed their cars to kill people.  I suggested that the reason the sector was struggling to measure things was that the things they were trying to measure were unmeasurable and everybody in the room knew this.  One lady clapped and almost cheered - she had opened her eyes - the rest kept them wide shut.  I hitched up my Che legwarmers a little.

The real problem though is that nobody really wants disruption it is hard and the results of it can be really sad.  Everybody is looking for a bit of reassurance at difficult times, everyone wants to be reassured that they are doing all they can.  

I am no different I am no one to speak out I just think that a conference that calls itself disruptive influences should be disruptive.  Perhaps next years conference should be called "Beyond disruption" which probably means resting on your laurels

Comments