Steve said i should annouce this

I too am in the journal mentioned in the last post - I'm there with Amanda Ravetz and Anne Douglas - we've written an article together called Why drawing, now? Basically we say that drawing can reveal existing communities rather than being a tool to generate or construct them. I suppose its suggesting that many of us believe that community is constructed by bringing individuals together in a space and with an activity. We argue that community is already present and can be made visible through drawing activity. Basically we think the idea reveals the need for careful scrutiny of the ways in which community is imagined or what community is....  [just to say we dont think this idea is limited to drawing - its just we looked at drawing]
 Here is a link to it - you have to buy it - which is weird given these days of sharing. I don't understand the world of articles and journals and keeping knowledge to ourselves. The people in it are associated with universities, so people supplied the words under their salaries or in my case for free. I know it's all about ref points and citations, but surely I'm not the only one who can see this keeping of information and knowledge as a nonsense - let alone the question of paying non salaried artists! All that said i could post the article on the Poly Site but perhaps then the knowledge police would come and get me.???????????

Comments

  1. Well I was thinking more it would be good to let people know some of the exciting other stuff you/we do and it is a great article that asks some really relevant questions about community and arts practice. I agree about knowledge and access it's a funny system especially as when you are involved in writing it you sign away permission to share it - we should do more grey literature stuff - Initially I thought this was writng for older people but actually it's any wring that isn't peer reviewed I think

    ReplyDelete
  2. Universities, their libraries, academic journals seem more keen to control access rather than share. Seems at odds with the core criteria of education.
    interested to read your Drawing article and the one about need to be arsey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a difficult one - the research councils want the journals to be open source and the Universities get money to pay for this to happen. Any funded research should really be available as it is tax payer money. It is strange though as I'm not sure how the journals are funded it seems that they are supported by academics who are salaried but I don't think there is direct funding so they have to raise revenue to actually exist. I think Kates artical will be made open source though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. in terms of this publication it seems that after a period of time they become free - so if you look on the site the older one you can now access. Katya i will copy them and let you have a copy.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment